The Myth of Permanence Lager Series 003: Smoked Helles
Smoked Helles 5%
NO LONGER AVAILABLE
The third in a monthly series of limited-releases showcasing various lager styles and, of course, meditating on the transience of all things. For this month’s Myth of Permanence Lager, we were inspired by our friends at Rose & Sons Big Crow. They make some of the best smoked meat and BBQ in Toronto and we wanted to make a beer to compliment those flavours.
We added malt smoked with Cherrywood to this helles lager. This beer is crisp and refreshing while giving lots of smokey goodness in the aroma and taste. Pairs well with bold meat flavours like Big Crow’s smoked baby back ribs, pickle-brined chicken, or hand-made smoked pastrami. You might want this beer to stick around forever, but it won’t.
- OG: 12.2
- IBU: 20
- SRM: 6.0
- Carbonation: 2.45 Volumes (Medium)
- Malts: Pale 2 Row, Pilsner, Vienna, Cherry Smoked Malt
- Hops: Magnum, Saphir
- Yeast: Biergarten
- Appearance: Brilliant golden, thick white head
- Aroma: Fall leaf fire, BBQ, woody, crackery and bready underneath, mild spice
- Taste: Sweet malt and charred wood dance on the palate, sweet BBQ comes through in the middle, mild spice and smoke linger in the finish, clean
- Mouthfeel: Medium body with a pleasant carbonation
- Overall impression: A classic malty pale lager with well balanced smoke adding complexity.